Thursday, June 30, 2005

Funny fights

I stumbled upon Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About which is a very, very funny website. Well, the author, Mil Millington wrote a book on the same topic and with the same name. Of course, just to be funny, the two are completely independent. The website is a series of short anecdotes that are mostly tears-streaming-down-your-face funny. There is rather little theme running through the website, Millington just writes what's funny. And God bless him; very enjoyable.

Well, the book is completely different in that it's an actual story. The website is (ostensibly) true-life stories of the author, Mil, and his German common-law wife. The book is an actual story about a Brit named Pel and his German common-law wife. Worlds apart, you can see.

Well, anyway, I really, really liked this book. To give you an idea, there is a copyright page like any book. Copyright 2002. Library of congress. Blah blah. But on that page, there is a disclaimer that the book is a work of fiction and this disclaimer is pretty funny. Not wet-your-pants funny, but by far and away the funniest legalese that I have ever read. Ok, granted there's not that much competition but the point is this--this Millington guy is either a really funny guy or really a talented writer. Or, quite possibly, both.

I was a little worried when I read some of the reviews on Amazon where people were complaining about the boring and improbable plot twists. Having read the book I could not disagree more. I haven't counted words but it seemed to me as thought the plot was only about a tenth of the book which was dominated by fairly quick scenes of fighting that were only sometimes related to the story development. (Mr. Millington does not let the story-telling get in the way of a good set-up.) Also, I'm mortally afraid of anyone who is concerned about improbable plot twists in a comedy. I envision these people writing furious letters to the editor, "I saw a policeman today and HE WAS WEARING A GUN!!"

One of my very favorite authors is Doug Adams and this book has a similarish feel. The two authors are both extremely talented and funny. They both use absurdities well. Millington's style differs in some ways... he frequently includes asides--yes, that's right, he speaks right "at you"--in his writing and he doesn't have Adam's genius for plot twists. (Or, quite possibly--in deference to your pants--he's been hiding that candle under a basket.)

The final thing I'll say about this book is that I admire the author's writing. He isn't just funny, I think he's a very gifted writer. For example, it may be a bit trite for a book to deliver justice at all, but I have to say that I was enormously satisfied by the way in which "what goes around" ended up "coming around" for the art teacher and his "shrike" wife. At times, the narrator and his wife fight so vigorously that it stretches credularity that they stay together. But in the end, I find the characters engaging and--I hate to say it--lovable. Of the books I've read recently, this has been absolutely the most enjoyable by a wide margin.

No comments: